Revelation 12,13 and 14 are a large brush stroke of history from the time of Israel being established through the birth of Christ to his second coming.
The book of Revelation is full of symbolism. The symbols are easy to understand if you have basic bible knowledge. This information is meant to be hidden in plain site. Those who scoff at this information are not meant to see or understand it. Those who are hungry for it will gain understanding by reading the Bible and fellow shipping with the holy spirit. An introductory understanding of the full testimony of scripture can clear up much of the confusion and uncertainty of these chapters.
There are seven main symbols in the book of revelation. Six of the main symbols can be found in chapters 12 and 13
“Now a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a garland of twelve stars.”
- The woman represents the faithful remnant of Israel. It is important to note this woman is not the church. It is Israel.
- The sun the moon and the stars are a reference to Josephs dream in [biblegateway passage=”Genesis 37:9-10″] which represents Israels patriarchs and their twelve tribes.
“Then being with child, she cried out in labor and in pain to give birth.”
- For generations Israel carried the promises of the coming messiah. Israel through Mary literally gives birth to the male child.
[biblegateway passage=”Isaiah 26:17″]; [biblegateway passage=”Isaiah 66:7″]; [biblegateway passage=”Micah 4:9-10″]
“And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great, fiery red dragon having seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems on his heads.”
- Through history Satan has tried to destroy Israel and any hope for the prophetic promises that were given to them.
- The primary points in history that Satan has tried to completely wipe out Israel are emphasized by the seven heads of the dragon
- The seven heads represent 7 historical empires that have tried to eliminate Israel, included are the 4 empires mentioned in the book of Daniel. These empires are:
- Egypt [biblegateway passage=”Exodus 1″]
- Assyria [biblegateway passage=”2 Kings 18:9″]
- Persia [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 2″]; [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 7″]
- Greece (Alexander the Great) [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 2″]; [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 7″]
- Rome or Islam? [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 2″]; [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 7″]
- Antichrist Empire [biblegateway passage=”Revelation 13″]
- The ten horns represent a ten nation confederation that are allies of the final empire.
[biblegateway passage=”Daniel 7:20″]; [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 7:24″]
“His tail drew a third of the stars of heaven and threw them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was ready to give birth, to devour her Child as soon as it was born.”
- His tail drew 1/3 of the stars from heaven. This is a reference to the original fall of Lucifer. He convinced 1/3 of the angles to follow him. These are now referred to as demons.
- The dragon stood before the women. This represents Satan’s constant opposition to Israel and his efforts to crush any hope of her foretold destiny.
- He was ready to devour her Child. The 7 historical empires were devouring any hope Israel had for the fulfillment of the promises of God. The ultimate fulfillment is Herod trying to take the life of the Messiah after his birth and ultimately on the cross.
“She bore a male Child who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron. And her Child was caught up to God and His throne.”
- She bore a male child. This is clearly and obviously Jesus
- He will rule the names with an Iron Rod. This is referring to the millennial reign and the iron rod is refereeing to how resolved Jesus is to cleans the earth from all sin. He will not back down for ruling with righteousness.
[biblegateway passage=”Isaiah 66:7″]; [biblegateway passage=”Psalm 2:8-9″]
- Her child was caught up. Jesus sits at the right hand of the father after his death and resurrection.
” Then the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, that they should feed her there one thousand two hundred and sixty days.”
- In the last 3 and a half years of the tribulation Israel will find refuge in Gentile nations (wilderness), where there will be supernatural provision like in the wandering days of Moses. Jesus foretold of this time in [biblegateway passage=”Matthew 24:15-22″]
” And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. “
- In the last 3 and a half years of the tribulation war in heaven breaks out and Satan and all of his demons are thrown from the second heavens to the earth. They no longer have any authority from the heavens. Consequently Satan loses his ability to accuse believers at the throne. As depicted in [biblegateway passage=”Zechariah 3″]
[biblegateway passage=”Jude 9″]; [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 10:13″]; [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 10:21″]; [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 12:1″]
- Satan must be on earth for Jesus to cast him into the lake of fire later in Revelation.
“So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.”
Satan is referred to here in 4 different ways to make it clear who has been through the whole story.
- Dragon – A Beast that cannot be reasoned with, he has monstrous character and an enemy of God.
- Serpent of old – Referring to [biblegateway passage=”Genesis 3″]. The book of Revelation is demanding that we connect the beginning of the Bible to the end.
- Devil – He is a slanderer. Nothing he says can be trusted, regardless of how good it sounds it is meant to devour.
- Satan – He is the ultimate enemy and adversary of God and Humanity. [biblegateway passage=”1 Peter 5:8″]
Old Testament references [biblegateway passage=”Genesis 3:1″]; [biblegateway passage=”Job 1:6″]; [biblegateway passage=”Job 2:1″]; [biblegateway passage=”Zechariah 3:1″]
“Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down.“
- The word devil is derived from the Greek word diabolos meaning accuser or slanderer. In Job chapter 1 and 2 satan blatantly slanders Job by degrading his character before God.
- A new form of spiritual authority is taking place on the earth since Satan at this time is thrown down from the heavenlies and no longer sits in high places.
- Overcoming is a major theme in the book of Revelation. The primary way the saints (us) overcome is by not giving up in the face of adversity, struggles or even in the threat of losing our lives. [biblegateway passage=”Revelation 2:7″]; [biblegateway passage=”Revelation 2:11″]; [biblegateway passage=”Revelation 2:26″]; [biblegateway passage=”Revelation 3:5″]; [biblegateway passage=”Revelation 3:12″]; [biblegateway passage=”Revelation 3:21″]
- The blood of the lamb is our lone basis for victory over satan. Jesus death and resurrection gave him complete victor over satan. Christ has reconciled the saints to himself by not imputing their trespasses and has committed to us the word of reconciliation. [biblegateway passage=”2nd Corinthians 5:17-21″]
- Regardless of the cost the saints love Jesus with all their lives even to the point of losing it
- The word of our testimony is who we believe Jesus to be, what he did on the cross, who we are in him and his eternal plan for those saved. It is important that the church does not carry a partial testimony or a skew testimony. As the confusion ramps up with persecution, there will be great confusion attributed to the character of Jesus. It will be critical that the saints have a good grasp on the full testimony of the scriptures.
“Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you who dwell in them! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and the sea! For the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, because he knows that he has a short time.”
- There will be an increase in demonic activity on the earth when satan is cast down from his place of authority in the heavens.
“Now when the dragon saw that he had been cast to the earth, he persecuted the woman who gave birth to the male Child.”
- Satan will be enraged at the Woman (Israel) when he is cast down. He will seek to destroy her with a flood of persecution. The book of Zechariah describes how satan will attack Israel in the end times. [biblegateway passage=”Zechariah 12:1-3″]; [biblegateway passage=”Zechariah 13:8-9″]; [biblegateway passage=”Zechariah 14:1-5″]
“But the woman was given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness to her place, where she is nourished for a time and times and half a time, from the presence of the serpent.”
- God will supernaturally provide and protect the remnant of Israel for 3.5 years.
- The time frame of 3.5 years is given many times in the Bible. It is not symbolic it is a time frame that links many bible verses together to help give us a broader picture of key events. 3.5 years is clearly referencing [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 7:25″] and [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 12:7″] regarding the beast and how he persecutes the saints.
Old Testament references [biblegateway passage=”Exodus 19:4″]; [biblegateway passage=”Deuteronomy 32:11″]; [biblegateway passage=”Isaiah 40:31″]; [biblegateway passage=” Daniel 7:25″]; [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 12:7″]; [biblegateway passage=”Hosea 2:14-15″]
“So the serpent spewed water out of his mouth like a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away by the flood.”
- Satan will try everything in his power to completely annihilate (sweep away) Israel. The church will stand with Israel in this time.
- Water and flooding here is used like a metaphor because water stops for nothing and contacts all things that are in its path. Think of hurricanes and Tsunamis and how to react and respond when they come inland. A Tsunami destroys everything in its path.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKf1WMJeFVEThis is how how the persecution of Satan will be in the final 3.5 years. It will be relentless. He we speak commands to his leaders and they will be relentless in their pursuit of persecution.
- This is most likely not a literal flood, but a metaphor used to describe the attitude and pursuit of the Antichrist persecution on Israel.
- Remember in verse 6 it refers to 1260 days and in verse 14 it says “time, times and half a time”. This is a reference to the same time period of 3.5 years.
- Jesus tells Israel to flee to the mountains when they see the abomination of desolation. [biblegateway passage=”Matthew 24:15-22″]
[biblegateway passage=”2Thess 2:4″]; Antichrist sits as god in temple (Reveals himself)
“But the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed up the flood which the dragon had spewed out of his mouth.”
- Through supernatural means the woman (Israel) will be protected from the floods of persecution. This is meant to parallel the exodus story.
[biblegateway passage=”Exodus 14:21-29″] The sea was split
[biblegateway passage=”Exodus 16:4,13-18″] Quail for meat
[biblegateway passage=”Exodus 15:22-25″] Bitter waters made sweet
[biblegateway passage=”Exodus 17:2-6″] Water comes from a rock
[biblegateway passage=”Numbers 16:19-35″] Ground opens up and swallows Korah
“And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.”
- Satan will be enraged with the woman because of her offspring (Jesus and the saints). So he will make war on the gentile believers. This is a reference to the first prophesy of scripture.
Old Testament references [biblegateway passage=”Genesis 3:15″]; [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 7:21″]; [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 7:25″]; [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 8:24″]; [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 11:32-35″]; [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 12:7″]; [biblegateway passage=”Daniel 12:10-11″]; [biblegateway passage=”2 Timothy 3:12″]; [biblegateway passage=”Revelation 13:7″]; [biblegateway passage=”Revelation 16:6″]