Prayer to overcome demonic fog and darkness on this message. Jesus plum line our hearts
The gift of Grace is the power to walk in victory over sin and darkness. Grace was not given to us so we can make excuses or excuse ourselves from our sin.
- Its just head knowledge
- Leads to experience
- Confirms Experience.
Testimony of Anger
The First Commandment
Empowered to Walk out the first commandment. Learning how to love ourselves
Paul gives us the keys in Romans 3-8. Romans 3-8 contains foundational truths that are necessary to walk in what Paul calls newness of life (Romans 6:4). Jesus prayer is that we would live in the fullness of the First Commandment.
Mark 12:29-31 (ESV)
29 Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
The exhortation to Love God this way comes with the promise that he will help us accomplish it.
John 17:26 (ESV)
26 I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.”
- What does romans 3-8 have to do with the first commandment and why is it important?
- When we understand these truths and how they are operating in us, we gain confidence that God will help us overcome our spiritual darkness and Love God as described in the first Commandment through a deep frendship with the Holy Spirit.
Our human frame is made up of 3 parts
- Body – Our physical makeup cravings and appetites
- Soul – Our emotions and expressions
- Spirit – Our eternal being
We are very familiar with our Body and Soul, however. Our spirit was dead before Christ made it new.
Genesis 2:17 (ESV)
17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.
Ephesians 2:4-5 (ESV)
4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—
Romans 8:10 (ESV)
10 If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.
- With the new spirit inside of us Jesus progressively wants to transform our lives.
- For the most comprehensive teaching in the Bible on personal transformation we must read Romans 3-8. Most importantly within those chapters is Romans 6, specifically verses 11-13
- Paul summarizes Romans 3-8 in 2nd Corinthians 5:17-21
2 Corinthians 5:17-21 (ESV)
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 18 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. 20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
Our Spirit was reconciled to Christ when we gave our lives to him. Jesus is making all things new according to the spirit.
1 Corinthians 6:17
17 But he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him.
The plan of the enemy
- Isolation – Your problems are unique to you.
- Condemnation – You are not good enough nor will you ever be. You must achieve something to receive the goodness of God.
- Self Hatred – At the core of who I am I do not like myself. Without stuff to prop me up, the Evidence is I am bored spiritually and emotionally.
- Ditch #1 – Sin, get your life so full of darkness that your emotions are full of Chaos
- Ditch #2 – Licentiousness. Give you a false confidence in the grace of god. A grace that overlooks your sin instead of empowering you to overcome it. A life of presumption.
3 Principles to overcome darkness (Sanctification)
PRINCIPLE #1: KNOWING (FAITH)
11 Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
- Romans 6:1-10
- Getting free from sin and being anointed to Love God are the same thing. Paul says it 2 different ways to grab the attention of everyone in his audience.
- We must have the revelation that before The Holy Spirit lived in us we had no chance of salvation because our spirit was dead
- When we received Jesus we were reconciled to him in his resurrection and into new life through the spirit. The problem is that we don’t always feel it.
1 Corinthians 6:15-17 (ESV)
17 But the person who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with him.
PRINCIPLE #2: RESISTING (REPENTANCE)
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13a and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness;
- We must go to war with sin and temptation. We do not make peace with sin or excuses for it. We call it what it is and declare war on it. “God knows my heart.” “Boys will be boys.”
- We do not present our members to sin, eyes, legs, arms. We don’t put ourselves into positions with people or places that enflame sin in our flesh. 10×10
PRINCIPLE #3: PURSUING (LOVE)
13b but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.
- We present ourselves to God with confidence that our dead spirit is no longer in us but have been given a living spirit and that new living spirit has been reconciled to the Holy Spirit.
- We present our members by going to places that serve the lord, that honor people and engage the great commission. Even the smallest acts in our life when done unto the Lord are considered presenting our members. The most important way you can present yourself to God is PRAYER!
- ex: Van ministry, opening doors at church, helping your mom do the dishes. Encouraging a brother or a sister, Playing on worship team. Small favors, blessing others, giving time, energy and effort.
These three principles, over time create a deep and intimate friendship with the holy spirit.
Do not neglect one principle for the sake of the others.
- Some people go hard after understanding and studying God
- Some people go hard after resisting sin
- Some people go hard after loving God
- We don’t get to pick our favorite, we must do all three in order for any of them to work in fullness.
How to cooperate with the Spirit (Practical Application)
When we think of walking in victory over sin we must not only think of the outward of expression (behavior) of sin but the inward cause. What is it in our hearts that causes us to agree and participate with darkness?
- We are not looking for simple behavior modification.
- We need Jesus to touch the deep and secret areas of our heart to truly have victory.
Galatians 5:22-25 (ESV)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit.
- The day we were joined to the spirit. A full deposit of the spirits gifts was made to us. Not in part, but in full. 100%!
- We activate these gifts in us by having a conversation with the holy spirit about them.
- Over time by accessing the gifts of the Holy Spirit in this way We gain confidence and boldness in the presence of God.
Ephesians 3:8-12 (ESV)
8 To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9 and to bring to light for everyone what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in[a] God, who created all things, 10 so that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. 11 This was according to the eternal purpose that he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord, 12 in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through our faith in him.
- If you don’t believe in the creative miracle that is done in you, it is extremely difficult to believe that Gods creative miracles can be done through you.
- If we do not access the fruit of the Spirit
Hebrews 12:15 (NASB)
15 See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled;
We must work together with the spirit to cultivate the empowerment of our body and emotions.
- This is the mark of spiritual maturity. When we are predominately motivated and oriented by our spirit. When we are no longer dominated by our flesh and emotions.
- God does not do it for us. That is presumption.
- This is not legalism. It is how we live with power and confidence on our hearts and lives to overcome and help other people overcome.
2 Corinthians 6:1 (ESV)
6 Working together with him [God, holy spirit], then, we appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain.
Matthew 7:24-27 (NLT)
24 “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. 25 Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. 26 But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. 27 When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.”
READ Romans Chapter 8
John 4:24 English Standard Version (ESV)
24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”