Prayer to overcome demonic fog and darkness on this message. Jesus plum line our hearts
The gift of Grace is the power to walk in victory over sin and darkness. Grace was not given to us so we can make excuses or excuse ourselves from our sin.
- Testimony of Anger – Is God Good?
- Story of steering wheel heater
Our human frame is made up of 3 parts
- Body – Our physical makeup cravings and appetites
- Soul – Our emotions and expressions
- Spirit – Our eternal being
1 Thessalonians 5:23
23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
We are very familiar with our Body and Soul, however. Our spirit was dead before Christ made it new.
17 but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die.”
4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
10 If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.
Reign of Sin and reign of Grace
19 For as through the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous. 20 The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, 21 so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
The reign of sin and of grace are not poetic realities or lofty ideas. These reigns are legal realities. Every human is in one of these two reigns.
It is impossible to be in both reigns at once. We are not disqualified from the reign of grace when we fail.
- The reign of sin came through one man, Adam. Every human is born into the reign of sin.
- The reign of grace and gift of righteousness came through the second Adam, Jesus. Once we are brought into this reign we stand fully justified before God.
reign- to possess or exercise sovereign power
Being under the reign of sin is like being under a tyrant or a cruel monarch because it places you under the law.
These 2 legal positions are our only options when we stand before God. We will either stand condemned or we will stand fully accepted.
5 benefits to the reign of grace
- God’s acceptance with affection Romans 8:1
- Indwelling Spirit Romans 8:10, Ezekiel 11:19
- The fruit of His presence in us is love and peace Galatians 5:22
- Authority Ephesians 2:6
- Divine destiny We have a lasting purpose in God that goes beyond our physical death Luke 19:17
2 words that are difficult to understand in Romans 3-8
Justification. We were given the full righteousness of God in our spirit. When justified by God we are justified fully, freely and with finality. We no longer need to justify ourselves before God. Jesus blood Justifies us, because we now have a his living spirit inside of us we are fully righteous in the site of God. This allows us to reign in life with victory over sin.
We are reconciled to Christ
For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.
17 For if by the one man’s offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)
19 And I will give them one heart, and put a new spirit within them. And I will take the heart of stone out of their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, 20 that they may walk in My statutes and keep My ordinances and do them. Then they will be My people, and I shall be their God.
- With the new spirit inside of us Jesus progressively wants to transform our lives.
- For the most comprehensive teaching in the Bible on personal transformation we must read Romans 3-8. Most importantly within those chapters is Romans 6, specifically verses 11-13
- Paul summarizes Romans 3-8 in 2nd Corinthians 5:17-21
Sanctification. Jesus puts us through the process of freeing our bodies and our souls from the burdens and weight of life (sin). He is committed to getting us to walk in confidence before the throne while making all things new.
Our Spirit was reconciled to Christ when we gave our lives to him. Jesus is making all things new according to the spirit.
1 Corinthians 6:17
17 But he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him.
The plan of the enemy
2 Corinthians 10:4-6
4 for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. 5 We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,
- Ditch #1 – Legalism. I can earn my way to heaven if I am good person.
- Ditch #2 – Licentiousness. Give us a false confidence in the grace of god. A grace that overlooks your sin
3 Principles to overcome darkness (Sanctification)
PRINCIPLE #1: KNOWING (FAITH)
11 Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
- Romans 6:1-10
- Getting free from sin and being anointed to Love God are the same thing. Paul says it 2 different ways to grab the attention of everyone in his audience.
- We must have the revelation that before The Holy Spirit lived in us we had no chance of salvation because our spirit was dead
- When we received Jesus we were reconciled to him in his resurrection and into new life through the spirit. The problem is that we don’t always feel it.
1 Corinthians 6:15-17
17 But the one who joins himself to the Lord is one spirit with Him.
PRINCIPLE #2: RESISTING (REPENTANCE)
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13a and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness;
- We must go to war with sin and temptation. We do not make peace with sin or excuses for it. We call it what it is and declare war on it. “God knows my heart.” “Boys will be boys.”
- We do not present our members to sin, eyes, legs, arms. We don’t put ourselves into positions with people or places that enflame sin in our flesh. 10×10
PRINCIPLE #3: PURSUING (LOVE)
13b but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.
- We present ourselves to God with confidence that our dead spirit is no longer in us but have been given a living spirit and that new living spirit has been reconciled to the Holy Spirit.
- We present our members by going to places that serve the lord, that honor people and engage the great commission. Even the smallest acts in our life when done unto the Lord are considered presenting our members. The most important way you can present yourself to God is PRAYER!
- ex: Van ministry, opening doors at church, helping your mom do the dishes. Encouraging a brother or a sister, Playing on worship team. Small favors, blessing others, giving time, energy and effort.
These three principles, over time create a deep and intimate friendship with the holy spirit.
Do not neglect one principle for the sake of the others.
- Some people go hard after understanding and studying God
- Some people go hard after resisting sin
- Some people go hard after loving God
- We don’t get to pick our favorite, we must do all three in order for any of them to work in fullness.
How to cooperate with the Spirit (Practical Application)
When we think of walking in victory over sin we must not only think of the outward of expression (behavior) of sin but the inward cause. What is it in our hearts that causes us to agree and participate with darkness?
- We are not looking for simple behavior modification.
- We need Jesus to touch the deep and secret areas of our heart to truly have victory.
Galatians 5:22-25 (ESV)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit.
- The day we were joined to the spirit. A full deposit of the spirits gifts was made to us. Not in part, but in full. 100%!
- We activate these gifts in us by having a conversation with the holy spirit about them.
- Over time by accessing the gifts of the Holy Spirit in this way We gain confidence and boldness in the presence of God.
- If you don’t believe in the creative miracle that is done in you, it is extremely difficult to believe that Gods creative miracles can be done through you.
- If we do not access the fruit of the Spirit
Hebrews 12:15 (NASB)
15 See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled;
2 Corinthians 6:1 (ESV)
6 Working together with him [God, holy spirit], then, we appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain.
We must work together with the spirit to cultivate the empowerment of our body and emotions.
- This is the mark of spiritual maturity. When we are predominately motivated and oriented by our spirit. When we are no longer dominated by our flesh and emotions.
- God does not do it for us. That is presumption.
- This is not legalism. It is how we live with power and confidence on our hearts and lives to overcome and help other people overcome.
End anger testimony